Each year in New York City and throughout the state too many pedestrians are injured or killed in motor vehicle accidents. These catastrophes can be caused by
- Driver inattentiveness;
- Driver speeding, and failure to follow traffic rules and regulations;
- Drivers who fail to yield the right of way to pedestrians in a marked crosswalk when making a turn.
- Drivers that are operating their vehicle while impaired;
Within the category of inattentive drivers, there is a significant share of those who are distracted by mobile devices, such as cell phone that distract drivers through talking, texting or emails.
The New York City, Pedestrian Safety Study of 2010, revealed some interesting data that underscores the vehicle/pedestrian accident problem.
- Pedestrians accounted for 52 percent of New York City’s traffic fatalities from 2005-2009
- They are 10 times more likely to die than a motor vehicle occupant in an accident
- Accidents that kill or seriously injure pedestrians involved driver failure to yield 27 percent of the time
- Serious pedestrian accidents involving unsafe speeds are twice as deadly as any other accident
- Driver inattention was cited in nearly 36 percent of crashes resulting in pedestrians killed or seriously injured.
These are just a few of the chilling facts. Pedestrians who are injured in car accidents need to contact an experienced accident lawyer to help them receive the financial compensation that they deserve. At Jacob Oresky & Associates, PLLC we help our clients from the very beginning, including helping them fill out and file for No-fault benefits for medical expenses and lost wages. We investigate their cases, and help them recover the compensation that they deserve. Call us for a free consultation today at (718) 993-9999.
Attorney Advertising. Prior results do not guarantee a future similar outcome.