Council Addresses Common Cause of Injury and Death on Roadways
We live in an age of distraction…there are countless ways that our attention can be drawn away from the task at hand. It’s almost never of benefit to us, but it can be deadly when we’re behind the wheel. Consider some of the statistics:
- More than four out of ten people confess that they talk on their phones while driving
- 16.3% say they send or read text messages while behind the wheel
- About one in 12 engage in some form of personal grooming—combing hair, plucking eyebrows, applying makeup or even shaving—while driving
In many ways, it’s become a national epidemic. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports that nine people are killed and a thousand injured every day in America because a motorist was distracted. In an effort to increase public awareness of the problem and encourage behavior that will bring the numbers down, the National Safety Council has declared April “Distracted Driving Awareness Month.”
Oresky & Associates, PLLC—Results-Oriented New York City Motor Vehicle Accident Injury Lawyers
At Oresky & Associates, our experienced team ofattorneys has successfully obtained more than $300 million in verdicts and settlements for personal injury victims in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan and Queens over the past 25+ years, including victims of motor vehicle accidents. We know the radical impact a personal injury can have on all aspects of your life. We’lltake the time to learn the details of your accident and injuries, so that we can help you get full and fair compensation. We’ll keep you apprised of all developments in your case, as well as your options, so that you can makeeducated choices about your future.
Our Record of Success in Motor Vehicle Accident Injury Claims
We have a proven record of securing substantial awards for people injured in car, truck and motorcycle accidents:
- $4.6 million verdict for a person hurt in a multi-car accident
- $3.45 million in a delivery van accident claim
- $1.9 million verdict to a client who suffered an injury in an ambulette accident
- $1.5 million for a passenger in an automobile accident
- $1.1 million verdict for a passenger involved in a taxi cab accident
- $998,000 for a passenger in a motor vehicle accident
Distracted Driving—Putting You at Risk Every Day
According to the CDC, the types of distractions motorists face are threefold:
- Manual distractions—those that require that you take your hands off the wheel, such as using a handheld device, adjusting the stereo, applying makeup or eating a sandwich
- Visual distractions—those that pull your eyes from the road and traffic in front of you, such as billboards, scenery and even other accidents
- Cognitive distractions—things that take your mind off driving, from recordings to phone conversations to debates with other occupants in your vehicle
Many activities combine two or all three of the above types of distractions. For example, if you send or read a text message while driving, you have likely been exposed to all three forms of distraction. Think about it this way—if you take your eyes off the road for 10 seconds to look at a handheld device, you’ll travel the length of a football field without seeing where you are going.
As part of the effort to increase public recognition of the prevalence and dangers of distracted driving, the National Safety Council is offering:
- A free online distracted driving course—sign up at safetyserve.com
- A webinar that discusses ways that employers can address distracted driving by employees
- Resources for employers, including a safe driving kit
To learn more, visit the National Safety Council website.
Contact the NYC Motor Vehicle Accident Attorneys atOresky & Associates, PLLC
At Oresky & Associates, we provide proven representation to injured people in Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan and the Bronx. For a free initial consultation, send us an e-mail or call usat 718-993-9999 for an appointment. We can take your call24 hours a day, seven days a week and will travel to your home or the hospital to meet with you.
We take all personal injury claims on a contingency basis. We won’t charge anylegal fees unless you getcompensation for your losses.
Weaggressively protect the rights of injured peoplethroughout New York, from New York City, the Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, Brooklyn (Kings County) and Staten Island (Richmond County) to Westchester, Long Island, Suffolk County and Nassau County.
Listed by the New York Law Journal and New York Magazine
Top Verdicts and Settlements
2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014| 2015 | 2016