The New York personal injury attorneys at Oresky & Associates, pllc. hope you never are injured in a car accident. However, statistics show that people are involved in at least two motor vehicle accidents during their lifetime. If, or when, this happens to you, you should be prepared. Here is our advice on the top 5 things to do if you are involved or injured in an auto accident:
- First and foremost, seek medical attention. Whether you are severely injured or just shaken up after an auto accident, make sure you have a medical examination. Many people are so pumped up on adrenaline after an accident that their injuries go unnoticed. Additionally, there are certain injuries that may not manifest symptoms until days or weeks after an auto accident. If you cannot move or are in severe pain after an auto accident, try to call out for help, or if possible call 911. If anyone else has been injured in the accident, do not try to move them unless they are in danger. Moving an injured person without proper training can compound their injuries.
- Second, obtain as much information as possible from the person fully or partially responsible for the accident, including their insurance information, driver’s license information, and contact information. If the police arrive and take statements, try to obtain the badge number and name of the police officer taking the statement, as well as which police department they are from.
- Third, if there are witnesses, try to obtain their names, contact information (such as phone numbers), and a short statement regarding what they saw. Witnesses have a tendency to be difficult to locate after auto accidents, so the more information you can obtain at the time, the better.
- Fourth, record as much information as possible. If you have a cell phone with a camera, take pictures of the scene, the damage to the cars, tire tracks or skid marks, and any injuries to yourself and others. As soon as it is practical, write down what happened while it is still fresh in your mind. Remember, cars are eventually repaired, and skid marks fade, as do people’s memory. It is prudent to preserve all evidence of what happened, which may be useful if facts are later disputed.
- Fifth, if injured retain counsel from a personal injury lawyer who has extensive experience handling auto accident claims. Dealing with the law, the claims process, and insurance companies requires skill, knowledge and experience. Retaining a personal injury attorney as soon as possible will help ensure that you receive fair and just compensation for your injuries and losses, and will help you maximize your recovery after an auto accident.
The New York auto accident attorneys at Oresky & Associates, pllc. have extensive experience handling a wide range of injuries arising from New York car accidents, from whiplash and soft tissue injuries to wrongful death claims. We have helped hundreds of people maximize their compensation for injuries or losses sustained in motor vehicle accidents.
We are available 7 days a week and 24 hours a day to assist you and answer your questions regarding New York personal injury laws or to discuss your car accident claim.
Our New York personal injury attorneys and auto accident claims lawyers have earned their reputation for maximizing compensation and benefits for auto accident claims, including serious personal injury and wrongful death claims arising from car accidents. Of course, your results will depend on the facts of your particular claim. Each auto accident claim is unique, and our representation is tailored to the facts of your case. One of our experienced New York car accident claims attorneys can analyze your claim and properly present you with options. You can take comfort in knowing that your claim is being aggressively pursued and professionally handled by an attorney who is dedicated to maximizing your compensation and benefits.
Contact an Experienced New York Auto Accident Attorney Today
For additional information about New York auto accident claims, including claims under MVAIC caused by uninsured motorists, or to discuss the particulars of your auto accident claim with an experienced New York personal injury attorney, please call us at (718) 993-9999, or fill out a contact intake form and one our experienced personal injury team members will contact you. Remember, when you retain our services, you will have the New York Personal Injury Team, headed by Jacob Oresky himself, aggressively fighting to get you and your family the compensation you deserve after a New York car accident. We offer free confidential consultations and work on a contingent fee basis, which means you only pay us if we successfully obtain compensation for you.