BROOKLYN, NY – One construction worker died and a second was injured when a wall collapsed at a residential property in Sunset Park.
The FDNY received reports of an incident at 454 42nd Street at approximately 1:30 p.m. on December 28, as reported by Gothamist. A ten-foot retention wall in the rowhouse’s backyard collapsed, trapping multiple workers in the rubble. Emergency responders freed a seriously injured worker and took them to an area hospital for treatment.
A second worker was pronounced dead at the scene. Their identity has not been released.
Police and firefighters subsequently cordoned off the property, and the Department of Buildings has launched an investigation. Records indicate that the wall may have been illegally erected in 2004, and there do not seem to be any permits for whatever work was being conducted at the time of the accident.
New York Construction Accidents
At Oresky & Associates, PLLC, our New York construction accident lawyers provide compassionate, knowledgeable legal representation to help accident victims obtain the financial compensation they are entitled to receive. Here are just some of the hundreds of results we’ve obtained for people in similar situations to yours:
- $7.5 Million settlement for an undocumented worker who fell off a sidewalk bridge and suffered herniated discs requiring multiple surgeries.
- $6.6 Million verdict for a construction worker who fell from a scaffold and sustained serious injuries.
- $6 Million for a worker who fell from a ladder while installing a window frame.
- $5 Million verdict for a demolition worker who was knocked off ladder by an HVAC duct, fracturing his arm and requiring back surgery.
- $4 Million verdict for a painter who fell through a display case at a store under renovation. The painter was not provided with proper safety equipment.
- $4 Million verdict for a construction worker who was struck by an improperly secured concrete barrier
Want to put this experience to work for you? Then contact us to schedule a free consultation with one of our dedicated New York construction accident lawyers. Call us 24/7 at (718) 747-9539, chat with us online, or fill out our contact form today.