- See a doctor to check for all possible injuries
- How car accident injuries translate to recoverable damages
- Common types of damages associated with car accidents
- Examples of settlements we have negotiated for our clients
- The most important things you should know about your car accident settlement
- Contact Our Car Accident Law Firm in Bronx, NY
Several factors influence the amount you might obtain from a car accident settlement. The seriousness of your injury plays a significant role in determining this amount, as it affects your medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, and many other types of damages.
The amount of insurance coverage available plays another significant part in the outcome of your settlement. Of course, a lawyer’s experience building personal injury cases, handling insurance companies, and negotiating fair settlements is yet another important consideration in this equation.
See a doctor to check for all possible injuries
Seek medical attention after an accident to help your recovery, and also to establish a record of your injuries from the accident. The force of a motor vehicle collision can cause many types of injuries, some of which are serious and immediately apparent, others may not manifest with obvious signs or symptoms to the untrained eye. Other symptoms might appear hours, days, or even weeks after your accident.
By seeking immediate medical attention from a health care provider who knows you have experienced a car accident, you have the certainty of knowing all the injuries you have sustained and have them treated before they worsen. Furthermore, the doctor will document these injuries, connecting them to the crash.
How car accident injuries translate to recoverable damages
A personal injury lawsuit includes claims for pain and suffering, Many types of injuries can lead to prolonged treatments that generate hefty medical expenses. Treatment and recovery times often lead to missed work, which means lost income and benefits. In many cases, injuries can prevent an accident victim from working or performing the same type of work they did before the collision.
All these outcomes factor into the amount of your settlement.
Researching your damages
Our lawyers will conduct an assessment of your injuries and all the ways they have caused you to suffer losses. We will:
- Gather all your accident-related medical records
- Review medical reports, MRI and other diagnostic reports
- Obtain copies of your wage statements from your employer
- As needed, speak to experts in the fields of medicine, occupational therapy, economics, and psychology
We will compile a thorough report of all your damages and present them in a demand letter to the at-fault party’s insurance company.
Common types of damages associated with car accidents
Although every case is different, the following list comprises some of the types of damages you might recover in your settlement:
- Past and future pain and suffering caused by the injuries.
- Costs for Medical treatment from doctors and surgeons (past and future)
- Costs for Hospital stays
- Costs for Prescription medications
- Lost wages
- Lost union benefits
- Diminished future earning potential
- Loss of services
- Diminished quality of life
If a car accident caused your loved one injury that ultimately led to death, you can pursue a wrongful death action against the at-fault party. This type of action might enable you to recover both economic and non-economic damages, including:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Lost services
- Lost income
- Lost support
- Pain and suffering
Common types of car accident injuries
Not surprisingly, a significant number of serious injuries can result from a car accident, whether it’s with another vehicle, a stationary object, or a person. Some of the most common types of injuries include the following:
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Contusions and bruising
- Internal bleeding
- Broken bones
Examples of settlements we have negotiated for our clients
Oresky & Associates, PLLC has been helping injured New Yorkers for over 30 years. In this time, we have generated substantial case results for our personal injury clients—many of whom suffered injuries in car accidents, just as you have.
Consider the following results from cases:
- A driver injured in a three-car accident received a verdict for $4.6 million.
- The family of an 81-year-old pedestrian who died in a van accident was awarded $4.5 million settlement in their wrongful death case.
- A man passed away in a hit-and-run accident, and his family received $1.2 million.
The most important things you should know about your car accident settlement
Please be aware that states impose time limits on filing a lawsuit against a negligent driver or entity. You would be wise to give your lawyer plenty of time to build your case and negotiate with insurers so that you have time to file a lawsuit.
Contact Our Car Accident Law Firm in Bronx, NY
Oresky & Associates, PLLC has earned a solid reputation for being always there, honest, and forthright. Let us put our experience to work for you. If you need legal assistance, contact the Bronx car accident lawyers at Oresky & Associates, PLLC at your nearest location to schedule a free consultation. And remember, you pay us only if and when we win you a settlement or collect a court award.
We have two convenient locations in New York: