If you have been injured in a bus accident, you should know your rights. You have the right to pursue a legal case against liable parties to recover compensation for your damages.
For over 30 years, Oresky & Associates, PLLC has been helping people hurt in bus accidents in and around New York City recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain, and suffering, and more. We have won over 400 million dollars in settlements and verdicts for our clients, including $5 million for the family of a pedestrian killed in a school bus accident.
If you were injured or lost a family member in a bus accident, you have the right to pursue compensation in a personal injury or wrongful death claim.
Your Right to Recover Compensation After a Bus Accident
It is your right to pursue recovery for your losses and expenses following a bus accident. You have this right even if you are undocumented. Do not let an insurance company, bus carrier, or anybody else tell you otherwise.
Some of the losses for which you may recover compensation include:
- Medical expenses, including hospital bills, surgical costs, ongoing care, and rehabilitation
- Lost wages, including reduced earning capacity and loss of pension or union benefits
- Noneconomic damages, including pain and suffering related to your injuries
Do not accept a settlement offer from the insurance company until you speak with us. Do not sign any paperwork, accept any cash or checks, or agree to any terms until you speak with a bus accident lawyer on our team. We will review and advise you on settlement offers and deal with the insurance company, bus carrier, and other parties on your behalf. Let us protect and exercise your rights for you. Contact us to get started.
What to Do After Being Injured in a Bus Accident
Let us help you if you were involved in a bus accident. Call us as soon as you are able so we can get to work on your case and help you with your legal needs.
Here are a few things you can do that can help your case:
- Get medical care. If you need medical care, do so right away. Not only is this important for your health, but seeking medical care after your accident helps to establish a medical record of your injury.
- Obtain pictures. Take photographs of your injuries and ask someone to take photos of the accident scene, if possible. This will document your injuries and could provide evidence that helps establish liability for your injuries.
- Wait for police. It is important that you are listed in any police accident report. If you are not taken from the scene by ambulance, make sure the police list your name on any report. Otherwise later on, the bus company can claim that you were not there. The accident report contains crucial details about the accident that you may need when pursuing legal action. It may also help establish how the accident happened and who is at fault. We can help you retrieve any accident reports related to your accident.
- Speak with a bus accident attorney. We can help you meet deadlines, including the statutes of limitations, retrieve documents and evidence, build your case, negotiate a settlement, and represent you at trial if necessary. If your bus accident involved a bus operated by a government entity, the process and deadlines are different than if the bus was privately owned. Let us help you sort out the details.
Types of Bus Accidents We Handle
An NYC bus accident lawyer from Oresky & Associates, PLLC can help you following an accident involving any type of bus, including but not limited to:
- School bus accidents
- Tour bus accidents
- Greyhound bus accidents
- Metro bus accidents
- MTA bus accidents
Further, we can help any type of bus accident victim:
- Passengers in other vehicles. Naturally, when a vehicle the size and weight of a bus hits a much smaller vehicle, the results can be horrific. People in smaller vehicles may suffer a wide range of injuries from spinal cord and traumatic brain injuries to fractured bones and whiplash.
- Bicyclists are another group at high risk of injury when struck by a bus. Though the city has made an effort to create room on the road for cyclists, there are still areas of the city with little room for bicyclists, leading to dangerous encounters between cyclists and other vehicles, including buses. Bicyclists are vulnerable to serious injury when hit by a much larger bus.
- Pedestrians are also susceptible to severe injuries when hit by buses. With the large number of pedestrians in New York City, people are injured every year in accidents involving buses. Sadly, some do not survive. Oresky & Associates, PLLC knows this all too well, as we have represented the families of pedestrians killed by motor vehicles.
Whatever the circumstances of your accident, if you were hurt, please call us today to review your case and learn how we can help.
Let Us Put Our over 30 Years of Experience to Work for You
Oresky & Associates, PLLC has been helping people hurt in vehicle accidents for more than three decades. Let us file your paperwork, build your case, and fight for a fair settlement that covers your damages. We can represent you at trial if necessary.
Whether you are calling for yourself or a family member, Oresky & Associates, PLLC wants to hear from you. You deserve justice, and we can help you get it.
Contact Our Motor Vehicle Accident Law Firm in Bronx, NY
We have two convenient locations in New York: