Taxicab Accident Lawyer in the Bronx
With so many cabs on the road, accidents happen, and people can get hurt. If someone else’s carelessness or wrongful act caused you to suffer an injury, your life can change forever, and not for the better.
You might not be able to support yourself through gainful employment. You might need ongoing medical treatment and assistance with everyday tasks. With the medical expenses piling up, you might worry about how you will pay them and provide for your family and yourself. A taxicab accident lawyer in the Bronx can help you pursue compensation for your losses.
If you suffered injuries in a taxicab accident in the Bronx, you can call Oresky & Associates, pllc, at 718-993-9999 for a free consultation. We have won more than $350 million for our clients in the 25+ years that we have been helping injured people in the Bronx and the New York City area.
Causes of Taxicab Accidents
We investigate every taxicab accident claim that we handle to determine the cause(s). Sometimes multiple errors combine to cause a crash. Some common scenarios that can lead to a taxicab accident include:
- Aggressive driving by the cab driver or another driver
- Exceeding the speed limit or the safe speed for the conditions
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- A distracted driver who is texting, checking the GPS, or calling the dispatcher
- A driver who is fatigued or impaired
- Inadequate training or experience of the cab driver
- Inadequate supervision by the cab company, such as not firing “problem” drivers who have moving violations or a history of driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Road hazards, like potholes, poor street design, or lack of signage.
- Road rage by the cab driver or someone else
- Defective equipment on the cab, like worn brakes or bald tires
- The lack of or defective seat belts
Types of Injuries in Taxicab Accidents
If you were involved a taxicab accident, you could suffer many of the same injuries that you could in any other car accident. These injuries can include injuries like lacerations, fractures, head injuries, spinal cord damage, burns, dismemberment, and other significant trauma.
Parties That Can Be Responsible for Your Losses in a Taxicab Accident in NYC or The Bronx
Whoever committed a negligent act that caused the wreck and your injuries can be liable for your damages. Every case is different, and the liable party or parties will depend on the facts of your situation. Some of the common defendants in taxicab accident lawsuits include:
- The cab driver, if his carelessness caused or contributed to the crash.
- The driver of another motor vehicle, if she was at fault in the accident.
- The cab company, if it provided inadequately maintained vehicles, engaged in negligent hiring or supervision of employees, or instituted policies that encouraged risky driving. In some cases, the cab company can be vicariously liable for the accident.
Elements of Liability
We have to prove that someone’s carelessness caused or contributed to the accident and your injuries for the law to hold the person liable for your losses. We must establish these factors:
- Duty. The defendant must have owed you a legal duty of care. For example, the cab driver has a legal duty of care to operate the taxi reasonably and obey the law.
- Breach of the duty of care. It is negligence if someone fails to live up to his legal duty of care. Let’s say that the cab was stuck in Bronx traffic. The driver made a sharp right turn to detour away from the traffic jam. While doing so, he struck a pedestrian who was in the crosswalk legally. The driver violated the duty of care and was negligent.
- Causation. The negligent act must have caused the accident and the injury. The pedestrian suffered trauma because of the taxicab driver’s negligence. The taxicab driver is responsible for the pedestrian’s losses. The walker might also have a claim against the cab company.
- Damages. The victim must have suffered economic, physical, or emotional damages.
Getting Legal Help for a Taxicab Accident in the Bronx or Manhattan
We handle taxicab accident injury cases in which victims have suffered trauma including brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, paralysis, broken bones, and other significant trauma. We also handle wrongful death claims. Not every injury qualifies for compensation under the law.
When you suffer significant trauma, you sustain multiple losses beyond the physical injuries. A taxicab accident lawyer in the Bronx can help you pursue compensation for all of your losses, which can include things like lost union benefits, money damages for past pain and suffering caused by injuries, money damages for future pain and suffering caused by injuries, and loss of companionship or consortium.
Call Us Today for Help
Oresky and Associates pllc is active in helping the Bronx community. We are humbled by the fact that many of our clients view us like family friends. Our firm treats you with respect and tell you the truth. When we take care of your taxicab accident injury claim, you can focus on your health and well-being.
A taxicab accident lawyer in the Bronx can meet with you at our office, or we can come to you at the hospital or in your home. We handle taxicab accident cases on a contingency fee basis, which means that we do not get paid legal fees unless you get compensation. Call Oresky & Associates, pllc, today at 718-993-9999 for a free, no obligation consultation.